Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Heat cometh

As the title says, the heat has arrived(How about Jersey, Uncle Tom?). Nothing too oppressive, that's what June-August are reserved for, but it has gotten much warmer quickly. No more open windows, time to destroy the environment Mr. Gore and crank up the AC. It's been a while since my last post and again I think I have failed to ascertain much in the way of entertainment for my audience, but such is life.
A few weeks ago friends and I went to Green Island (English translation) and had a good time. It's one of the more virgin scuba and snorkeling areas in the world, due to the Taiwanese fear of water and aquatic activities. It's quite small but has many areas to snorkel and the water is crystal clear. I've become quite a fan of snorkeling; it's a kin to being born again, you're discovering a whole new world every time you enter the water.
This summer is developing into a busy and pivotal season. I am taking time off in late July/early August to travel to Japan for two weeks. In August I'm going to Laos and Vietnam for a short week, but I've heard such rave reviews from friends it's a mandatory jaunt. Beyond that I'm planning on taking the GRE in October and the LSAT again in December. I haven't decided what route to pursue, but I will apply to schools for both paths and discern which is more promising. The GRE is for Political Science, which admittedly I'm more curious and interested in. The plan is to return next spring, depending on how things shake out. I don't want to settle for a lesser school, but besides learning Chinese my time is increasingly not well spent in Taiwan.
My daily routine is quite leisurely and my schedule affords plenty of free time, most of which has been spent playing basketball and football. I feel confident that among the Maiers (yes I know this is an inflammatory comment) that I am the best basketball player. I have the height, experience, and young legs to prove my point. I will be taking on all comers upon my triumphant return to America. I hope everyone is shooting their free throws, and hitting the weights. By the way, a general question that begs to be asked, am I still the tallest grandchild? I know Alex has shot up like bamboo, but does he top 6'4?
Well, that's it for now, any debate or comments are more than welcome.

6 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger T Maier Jr. said...

Frank,

A. Still the tallest Grandchild.

B. Are you kidding me? I hope you've been eating crow along with those bbq rats - you will need it if your triumphant return includes a Jersey shore trip. Youth and height will never beat skill and old school guile. Bring it on!! (And I don't mean spirit fingers).

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Mike Maier said...

Francis,
Careful throwing down that gauntlet, Aquino! As the youngest AND tallest of your uncles I will warn you- never underestimate our gigantic capacity for hubris and how that motivates us to crush all comers. Especially relatives.
Your other plans, however, sound reasonably well thought out and I wish you luck.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger GrandmaMaier said...

I agree with your uncles - you never know the power of age and then again also the power of youth. As Mike said your plans sound good even thought I thought you would be back this summer. Taking both tests is sound idea. Happy Birthday to you very,very soon. Your blog is still very interesting and informative.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Dorothy Gould said...

Frank,

Love it! Someone has to give my brothers a run for their money! Have you checked out Uncle Tom's blog lately? Young Tom has been hitting the weights and is looking quite buff. I am glad you realize how leisurely your schedule is, and your plans for next year sound great. We will be happy to have you back on American soil, but in the meantime, ENJOY the leisure whle you can. Love, AD

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Bill Maier said...

Frank - I waited to post to see the comments from my brothers! That is quite a statement - maybe we need to send Mackenzie Maier over to Taiwan. I have to say - I admire your confidence. As the brother with the smallest stature - I would say that size is not always an advantage. I am also planning a potential trip to Taiwan in June and hope to see you then. All the best, Uncle Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home